Monday, December 24, 2012

Hoping For A Christmas Miracle

 

I am very upset with the staff at the rehab center. Last week, when my husband was moved to that part of the hospital, he was told that he could get a day pass to come home on the weekend days, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We haven't been able to go back to visit him since the 20th because we don't have much money left for gas and have been saving that so we can pick him up Christmas morning and then take him back that night. I was talking to hubby on the phone yesterday and his nurse was in the room. Hubby asked her to speak with me and explain the procedure for checking him out for the day on Christmas. The nurse then tells me that before he can go home for the day, we have to come in and attend a family training session. That is the first time that a training session was mentioned to us and hubby has asked about getting the day passes several times. He was discussing it with the doctor when we were there the last time because the doctor has to approve the pass and there was no mention of us needing any training. So if we go for the training this morning, we won't have gas money to bring him home for the day tomorrow. We would all just go spend the day at the hospital with hubby but due to the flu being really bad right now, children under 12 aren't allowed to visit. My granddaughter is only 4 and I don't want my son to miss Christmas with his child. We have decided to just go to the training this morning and hope that we can find some way to get to the hospital and back twice tomorrow.

I am heartsick at the thought of hubby being alone on Christmas Day. We have never been apart for more than a few days at a time in the 36 years that we have been married and have never not been together on Christmas. Christmas is even more special to us because that is the day that we got to take our son, who was born prematurely in 1979 and had only a 50% chance of surviving, home from the hospital.

I know it’s too late for Christmas but pens are still available.

http://www.hubbyshandcraftedinkpens.yolasite.com/product-catalog.php

For those who may not believe that we have to attend training or that kids under 12 aren't being allowed to visit right now, you can call and ask. Hubby is in Cape Fear Valley Hospital in Fayetteville, N.C. He is in the inpatient rehabilitation unit. The main hospital number is 910-615-4000. They can connect calls to inpatient rehabilitation. I know that I don't have to prove anything but I am getting tired of the nastiness and accusations.

One other thing, some people have been suggesting that we should rent our home out, get on housing assistance and use the rental income to pay our rent. That sounds like a recipe for becoming homeless and I will not risk that. If we rent out our home and the tenant doesn't pay then we could end up on the street. There are other considerations, also. Our house isn't in the greatest shape and we don't have the money to do repairs that are needed plus we would still have to pay property taxes. I am open to suggestions to help our situation but I think that renting our house out would be a colossal mistake.

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas/happy holidays. Enjoy your family and don’t take them for granted because you never know what might happen.

bladecatz@mail.com

Blade

No comments: